The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guarantees equal opportunity and participation for individuals with disabilities. It prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in all areas of public life, such as employment, education, transportation, and places which are open and available to the public.
Disability is an essential aspect of diversity. At SIU, a diversity of abilities is a source of enrichment and strength for the campus community. We seek to create a culture of access, whereby all Salukis help to ensure the inclusion and full participation of people with disabilities in all aspects of campus life.
The ADA Office:
- assists campus departments with workplace accommodations for faculty and staff
- educates the campus community through outreach and training
- assists departments in planning for accessibility for events and programs
- works closely with Plant and Service Operations to assist with improving the physical accessibility of campus
- promotes digital accessibility, working closely with Web Communications and Information Technology
Additional Employee Resources
Students needing accommodations for classes should contact Disability Support Services.